WRITE TO GLOW is a guided online and in-person writing circle that features the goal-less practice of free-flow writing. We write to prompts and a timer, share without comments, and discover what wants to be felt, known, expressed, and/or released. This practice creates a safe space to notice what's within and around us, cultivate radical self-acceptance, and feel less alone by seeing ourselves in others. No writing experience is needed.
HOW IT STARTED
AFTER 16 YEARS AS A CHILDREN'S AUTHOR AND EDITOR, Alyse Sweeney began writing as a mindfulness practice. She discovered that writing for herself (versus to publish) was a powerful tool to re-connect with her life -- and writing together was a unique invitation to cultivate courage, vulnerability, and empathy with others.
IN 2013, ALYSE CREATED WRITE TO GLOW to share communal writing practice with her Las Vegas community. She started a weekly blog, created monthly in-person writing circles for women, and created workshops for diverse organizations to share the multiple applications of the practice (see organizations below).
IN 2017, WTG CIRCLES came to Portland, OR and online for those who feel called to a community of vulnerable, real, and alive women.
ABOUT THE CREATOR
ALYSE SWEENEY is a writer, teacher, and founder of Write to Glow, online and in-person writing circles that feature writing together as a wellness practice. She’s a children’s author, former Associate Editorial Director with Scholastic, and holds a Master’s in Education from UNC at Chapel Hill. Alyse lives in Portland, OR, with her husband and teenage twins.
WRITE TO GLOW IN THE COMMUNITY
Write to Glow brings free-flow writing circles into organizations to share multiple applications of the practice:
- stress relief and connection for girls rescued from sex-trafficking at The Embracing Project
- memory retrieval for early-onset Alzheimer's patients at Cleveland Clinic
- acceptance and stress relief for Alzheimer's caregivers at Cleveland Clinic
- a mindfulness and healing practice for those affected by cancer at The Caring Place
- a creative tool for writers at Las Vegas Writers
- a mindfulness practice at The Grateful Yogi and All About Yoga